In this blessed month of Ramadan, one of the great joys is breaking and opening the fast. Besides the spiritual and physical benefits, nothing beats a great Iftar. Below are a couple of great desi recipes, that are truly earth-shatteringly awesome no matter what your background.
- Chick peas/Garbanzo (baisan) flour 1 Cup
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 small potato
- 5-6 Stems Cilantro
- Handful Spinach
- 2 green chilies
- Salt and red chili pepper
- Ground Cumin and Coriander seeds
- Mix all together with the flour and add water as needed to make a dough, like a pancake mix. Taste to your liking and adjust salt/pepper.
- Heat the oil, and take a tablespoon and put in the oil. Fry till golden brown. Serve with Green Chatni, ketchup, or other yogurt sauce.
- You can add various vegetables to the Pakora mix, like a Tempura including bell peppers, large cut onions, Eggplant, Squash
- 2lbs minced/ground meat
- Oil — 1/4 cup
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 table spoons garlic and ginger minced
- 3 coriander and cumin ground powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Spring roll, Wonton wrapper or Tortillas for the shell
- Add meat in pan add garlic/ginger and salt and red chillies and coriander and cumin powder. Cook that till all the water is dried up. Let it cool. Add the rest of the ingredients and fill the shell and close it with water or you can make a paste with water and flour.
- You can then fry till golden brown or bake them at a 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes
Samosa variation (Potato filling)
- potatoes, peeled, cooked, cooled and mashed — 5
- Peas — 1 cup
- One cup rice
- One gallon milk
- One can evaporated milk
- One cup sugar to taste
- 4-5 Cardamons
- Soak the rice in water for a couple of hours.
- In a big pan add the milk and evaporated milk and cardoons an bring to a boil. Add the rice in. keep stirring till it thickens and becomes creamy. This can take 2-3 hours. Then add the sugar and cook for 5 mins more and let it cool. Sprinkle with ground pistachio or almonds.