“The Most Generous Bride on Earth” was one of many headlines of a story that went viral. It is about a Turkish bride and groom who decided to forego a lavish wedding and instead feed 4,000 refugees from Syria.
It is an inspiring story, and although not everyone may have the courage or opportunity to do something like this, there are simpler, smaller, selfless acts we can do to help human-kind. Here are our top 10:
(Tip: Donate any leftover money from your budget to a good cause that is meaningful to both of you.)
1. Do away with favors. Give seeds to plant trees.
2. Instead of a large buffet, follow the one-dish rule. One dish for appetizer and one for main course.
3. Forget the multi-layer wedding cake and have family or friends make cupcakes or cake-pops.
4. Donate your wedding dress for a good cause.
5. Instead of gifts (or cash) ask guests to donate to a Kiva campaign or Global Giving for causes you believe in.
6.Part with the rock, forget the bling for wedding rings, instead buy something used or jewelry made from Titanium, Tungsten Carbide, Brawn Cobalt or Stainless Steel.
7. Hold the wedding at the local mosque (or your place of worship) and if weather allows it have the reception in a park or backyard of a family or friend’s home.
8. Have the wedding guests do a pot luck.
9. Ditch the limo or classic car for the farewell from the reception and have a friend drive you, or Uber it.
10. Do an Airbnb honeymoon locally rather than going to an exotic and expensive location.