It’s no secret, marriage is hard work. The first couple of years especially, as you’re still learning all about your spouse. Aside from learning about your spouse’s habits, you should remember to take the time to make them feel appreciated.
No, you don’t have to go all out and buy expensive gifts, remember, it’s the small things that really make the difference. Here are some ways to make the love of your life feel…well, loved.
- Does your spouse have to wake up extra early for work? Wake up with them. It will make all the difference in how the rest of their day goes.
- Start and end every day on a good note. “Good Morning,” “Good Night,” and “I Love You,” really go a long way.
- Surprise them with their favorite meal, candy, or snack.
- If they come home tired from a long day at work, offer them a massage.
- If you have an argument, instead of getting equally angry ask them what you can do to make them happy.
- Try to pray every prayer together, or at least remind each other to pray. A marriage will only work out by the grace of God. “A couple that prays together, stays together.”
- Know when to give your spouse their space. We all need some alone time every now and then. Understanding this and giving your spouse space will make them feel very appreciated, and more importantly, respected.
- We all need a day with friends. Leave the house and allow your husband to have a “guy’s night” or your wife to have a “girl’s night.”
- Take care of your spouse while they’re sick by going the extra mile. This includes picking up their favorite soup or making them soup. Getting them extra pillows, blankets, medicine. Most of us are used to having our parents tending to our every need when we’re sick, so we need to play that role when our spouse is sick.
- Is your spouse working late or having a tough day at work? Bring them lunch, or send them a text asking if there is anything you can do or bring them.
Marriage is all about sacrifice and compromise. It is no longer about “I” or “Me,” it’s about “You” and “Us.” Do you have anything to add to this list? Comment below!