In July 2016, Time Magazine published an issue called “240 Reasons to Celebrate America.” It has some amazing reasons which being American make us proud. With the month of Ramadan around the corner, we thought it would be great to reflect on reasons to celebrate our faith despite so much negativity in media and politics against Islam and Muslims. With that being said, get to scrolling!
Here are 17 reasons to celebrate Islam and being Muslim:
1. We are a diverse lot. With over 50 Muslim-majority countries and with Muslims having some form of meaningful presence in the remaining 146 countries. Therefore, you see that rainbow of faces throughout the world.
2. Muslims are generous. For instance, Muslims spend anywhere from an estimated $200 billion to $1 trillion annually in charity. (Source: oxfamblogs.org)
3. Muslims are hospitable by nature. Subsequently, no matter where you go, we are by far one of the most hospitable people on the planet. We welcome people both known and unknown to our homes and offer hospitality to no end.
4. We don’t have to detox because fasting during Ramadan is the only detox we need. Not to mention, it’s scientifically proven.
5. 81 UN World Heritage Sites in the Arab States alone plus many more in Africa, Asia and more.
6. Muslims are culture-rich in family values, history and traditions.
7. Muslims are the world’s fastest-growing religious group. Whether it be ethnically, spiritually, or culturally, the Muslim population is growing by leaps and bounds.
8. Really cool places to visit. Leaving aside conflict zones, Muslims have huge magnets as cultural attractions from Morocco to the Maldives.
9. The best airlines. The Middle East has become the hub of four of the largest, most popular airlines in the world, including Emirates, Etihad, Turkish Airlines, and Qatar Airways.
10. Muslims take care of the basics. No matter where Muslims go, we are pretty good of establishing mosques, schools, and Halal eats.
11. Muslims have an incredible variety of cuisines due to their diversity from West Africa, North Africa, East Africa, Middle East, Near East and Far East, East European, along with all the hyphenated fusion cuisines that come about due to migration. Go Biryani!
12. Muslims are blessed with natural beauty in places and people. Muslim architecture from Morocco to Mali, Egypt, Palestine, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, Indonesia, the list is endless. Same thing with people, we have a beauty in simplicity, dignity, and spirituality.
13. Some of the best athletes and entertainers both in the West and in Muslim majority countries are Muslim. In particular, Arthouse films from Iran and other countries have been nominated and/or won Academy Awards.
14. Muslims are spiritually grounded. Every human being needs a spiritual anchor that grounds them in life and for the vast majority of Muslims, we have this blessing.
15. Muslims have a rich history in the sciences, literature and culture. Our contributions in the past are earth-shattering and there is a slow revival taking place across the Muslim world.
16. We have the best non-alcoholic drinks the world ever. From Chai to Coffee, Lassi to Dough.
17. Muslims are blessed with grace and beauty that permeates not only their lives, but all those who they come into contact with.
In conclusion, there are many more reasons to celebrate Islam and being Muslim. We hope you enjoyed this post. Want to share your reasons? Let us know in the comments.